A friend and I just recently had an espresso machine breakdown and were forced to offer strictly drip coffee. We brewed up chemex pots. I was amazed at how people were willing to wait for a simple cup of brewed coffee, but more amazing was the amount of questions we received about the coffee, brew methods, taste profiles and etc. Not to mention the sale of whole bean quadrupled during the 4 hour time period.

I am interested to know about businesses that are having success with coffee outside of the mainstream coffee shop. A place people go to get quality coffee and equipment to brew at home and perhaps a selection of fresh roasted single origins offered in various brewing methods without the distractions espresso and the like tend to bring about.

Views: 53

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

At Temple, we have only s.o.'s, besides The Boss blend for our default spro (we also offer a s.o. spro as well!), and we can do all of that goodness in a french press. With that being said, we do have a syphon in our training room that we do bust out when the time calls for it (sorta rare... hoping to change that) and whenever one of the employees brings in something, like say a Moka Pot, we'll make a bunch, and hand some out to customers, just as a different option. I hope with our new location that we can offer different methods all the time.
Hello Mike,
You know without the sale of bulk coffee we would not have the ability to really connect the coffee to simple less complicated brewing methods. I conduct a lot of French Press tastings of all our coffees to sort of marry the customer to the blend that best suits their drinking style. If they like cream and sugar they tend to choose bolder more intense flavors and if they prefer to have their coffee black, surprisingly the darkest roast and blend is chosen due to it's super smooth finish and low acid levels. This also introduces the customer to tasting coffee in a true- er fashion then the more common drip process. It's also quite romantic. During the summer and of course by request I teach customers how to use the stove-top espresso machine. I use it a lot camping and if I need an espresso concentrate for brownies or a late night espresso martini. These two tools are inexpensive and really easy to use.

Love to hear how this conversation evolves!
At JavaJ our focus has always been on origin. I would say we are one of those rare "destination shops" that customers go to because they know they are going to get the highest quality coffee and they are probably going to learn something new. We are a small shop, and our daily sales are minimal, but that being said we sell a lot of wholebean. We feature weekly cuppings, single origin espresso and are always pushing the envelope. My general advice is don't talk down to your customers. Find a common language, and walk them through what they are tasting.

Also, espresso is an extraction method like any other. We regularly mix up the SO offerings, both in terms of roasters and origin. It helps customers understand more about origin, and can lead to a greater appreciation of simple black coffee.
I love you, J.
The US needs more shop-owners like you.

J. Valenta (JavaJ, foo') said:
At JavaJ our focus has always been on origin. I would say we are one of those rare "destination shops" that customers go to because they know they are going to get the highest quality coffee and they are probably going to learn something new. We are a small shop, and our daily sales are minimal, but that being said we sell a lot of wholebean. We feature weekly cuppings, single origin espresso and are always pushing the envelope. My general advice is don't talk down to your customers. Find a common language, and walk them through what they are tasting.

Also, espresso is an extraction method like any other. We regularly mix up the SO offerings, both in terms of roasters and origin. It helps customers understand more about origin, and can lead to a greater appreciation of simple black coffee.
"I am interested to know about businesses that are having success with coffee outside of the mainstream coffee shop. A place people go to get quality coffee and equipment to brew at home and perhaps a selection of fresh roasted single origins offered in various brewing methods without the distractions espresso and the like tend to bring about."

Sounds like Stumptown's Annex.
a couple of questions for you...
How have your sales been after your 4 hour time period? Have they still skyrocketed, or have they gone back to your "normal" level?
where is your shop located?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service